Guest instructor – Larry Lyon
Construction Leadership is offered during Blocks 3-4 during the spring term.
Waukee Innovation and Learning Center Workshop, 295 SE Ashworth Road, Waukee, IA 50263
Construction Leadership pulls together all the skills to support a successful engineer, supervisor, entrepreneur or self-employed laborer in the construction industry. This course provides opportunities for students to dive into both technical and business exploratory projects in this high-demand field. Topics such as construction engineering, industry safety standards, building codes, industry math, tools, home maintenance, plumbing, green building projects, planning and scheduling, improving productivity, managing project costs, business management and leading teams would be addressed.
Students will be connected to industry partners to explore projects and career opportunities such as superintendent, project engineer, project manager, foreman, estimator, building inspector, and independent laborer in various trade areas.
Curriculum Advisory Team
- Peg Armstrong-Gustafson, Business Development Manager of Waukee APEX/President and Founder of Amson Technology
- Randy Gabriel, Director of Career and Technical Programs, Des Moines Area Community College
- Randy Mead, Executive Dean of Program Development, Des Moines Area Community College
- Scott Ocken, Academic Dean of Industry and Technology, Des Moines Area Community College
- Jenny Foster, Associate Academic Dean of Industry and Technology, Des Moines Area Community College
- Michelle Hill, Director of Waukee APEX, Waukee Community Schools